INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE EQUALIZER® EQ2 REGISTER BOOSTER™
READ AND SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
Instructions are available at www.suncourt.com
WARNING - To Reduce The Risk Of Fire, Electric Shock Or Injury To Persons, Observe The Following:
1. Installation work and electrical wiring must be done by qualified person(s) in accordance with all applicable codes and standards, including fire-rated construction.
2. Sufficient air is needed for proper combustion and exhausting of gases through the flue (chimney) of fuel burning equipment to prevent back drafting. Follow the heating equipment manufacturer’s guideline and safety standards such as those published by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), and the American Society for Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), and local code authorities.
3. When cutting or drilling into wall or ceiling, do not damage electrical wiring or other hidden utilities.
4. WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock do not use with an extension cord.
Please read and understand this entire manual before attempting to operate or install the product.
When using electrical appliances, basic precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of fire, electric shock and injury to persons, including the following:
1) Use fan only for intended use, as described in instruction manual. Other use may cause fire, electrical shock, damage to the unit, or injury to persons and will void any warranty by the manufacturer.
2) To protect against electric shock, do not immerse unit, plug, or cord in water or spray with liquids.
3) Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children.
4) Unplug from outlet when not in use, when moving fan from one location to another and before cleaning. Turn the unit off before unplugging.
5) Never insert any object or allow any object to enter the Equalizer® EQ2 through the grills, as this may damage the unit or cause it to malfunction.
6) Pressure on the grills of the Equalizer® EQ2 may cause the fan impeller to contact these grills and damage the unit.
7) Disconnect fan before cleaning. Do not use strong detergents or flammable liquids to clean the Equalizer® EQ2.
8) The motor of the Equalizer® EQ2 is equipped with a thermal fuse. Blocking rotation of the fan or airflow may cause the motor to overheat. Should the motor overheat and the fuse open, replacement of the motor is required.
9) Do not in any way block the air grills of the Equalizer® EQ2.
10) Do not use fan in a window. Rain may cause an electrical hazard. The Equalizer® EQ2 should never be exposed to moisture. Do not use the unit in a bathroom or laundry area where it may come in contact with water.
11) Do not operate in the presence of explosive and/or flammable fumes.
12) Do not place fan or any parts near an open flame, cooking or other heating appliances.
13) Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug, after the appliance malfunctions or has been dropped or damaged in any manner.
14) To disconnect, grip plug and pull from wall outlet. Never yank on cord.
15) The housing of your Equalizer® EQ2 is sealed at the factory. THERE ARE NO SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE. Attempting to open the housing will expose you to dangerous electricity, may cause fire, and will void any and all warranty.
16) The Equalizer® EQ2 is designed for indoor use only.
17) This product is intended for household use only and not for commercial or industrial use.
18) Do not use fan near curtains, plants, windows treatments, etc.
19) Do not operate any fan with a damaged cord or plug. Discard fan or return to an authorized service facility for examination and/or repair.
20) Do not run cord under carpeting. Do not cover cord with throw rugs, runners, or similar coverings. Do not route cord under furniture or appliances. Arrange cord away from traffic area and where it will not be tripped over.
21) WARNING: To reduce the risk of electric shock and injury to persons, do not use this fan near a door or window.
22) WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not use this fan with any solid-state speed control device.
NOTE: This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the other).
The polarized plug is not intended to be used in non-polarized outlets (having both slots the same size). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to fit in a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully in the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician to install the proper outlet. Do not attempt to modify this plug or override this safety feature in any way.
POWER CORD SAFETY TIPS
1. Never pull or yank on the cord or the appliance.
2. To insert plug, grasp it firmly and guide it into outlet.
3. To disconnect appliance, grasp plug and remove it from outlet.
4. Before each use, inspect the line cord for cuts and/or abrasion marks. If any are found, this indicates that the appliance should be serviced and the line cord replaced. Please return it to an authorized service representative.
5. Never wrap the cord tightly around the appliance, as this could place undue stress on the cord where it enters the appliance and cause it to fray and break.
PLUG AND POWER CORD INSTRUCTIONS
This product employs overload protection (fuse). A blown fuse indicates an overload or short-circuit situation. If the fuse blows, unplug the product from the outlet. Replace the fuse as per the user servicing instructions (follow product marking for proper fuse rating) and check the product. If the replacement fuse blows, a short circuit may be present and the product should be discarded or returned to an authorized service facility for examination and/or repair.
User Servicing Instructions
1. Unplug your fan. Grasp plug and remove from the receptacle or other outlet device. Do not unplug by pulling on cord.
2. Open fuse cover, located on the top of the plug, by using your thumb or a flat head screwdriver to slide the cover down toward the prongs.
NOTE: Ensure the fuse cover is completely open before attempting to remove fuse.
3. Remove fuse carefully by using a small screwdriver to pry the fuse out of the compartment by the metal ends of the fuse.
4. Place plug on a solid, flat surface. Insert new 5 Amp, 125 volt fuse into fuse compartment and use a small screwdriver to secure the metal ends of the fuse into the compartment.
CAUTION: Risk of fire. Replace fuse only with 5 Amp, 125 volt fuse.
5. Slide fuse cover closed. If fuse cover is difficult to close, make sure fuse is secured in place by pressing down on metal ends of the fuse.
6. Risk of fire. Do not replace attachment plug. Contains a safety device (fuse) that should not be removed. Discard product if the attachment plug is damaged.
DO NOT OPERATE APPLIANCE IF THE LINE CORD SHOWS ANY DAMAGE OR IF APPLIANCE WORKS INTERMITTENTLY OR STOPS WORKING ENTIRELY.
IMPORTANT: During the first few minutes of initial use, you may notice a slight odor. This is normal and will quickly disappear.
CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE
Before cleaning the Equalizer® EQ2 always disconnect the power cord from the outlet. Dust may be removed from the exterior surfaces using a soft cloth, the round brush attachment of your vacuum cleaner, or using a cloth that has been lightly moistened with water and a mild non-abrasive detergent. Dust accumulation in the interior of the Equalizer® EQ2 may be removed by using the round brush attachment of your vacuum cleaner.
ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
Subject to the following limitations, the manufacturer warrants to the original purchaser that each new product is free from defects in material and workmanship and agrees to repair or replace under this warranty any defective product or part as follows from the original date of purchase for a period of one (1) year.
THIS WARRANTY IS NOT TRANSFERABLE AND DOES NOT COVER:
1. Products sold damaged or incomplete, sold “as is”, sold reconditioned or used as rental equipment.
2. Delivery, installation or normal adjustments explained in the owner’s manual.
3. Damage or liability caused by shipping, improper handling, improper installation, incorrect voltage or improper wiring, improper maintenance, improper modification, or the use of accessories and/or attachments not specifically recommended by the manufacturer.
4. Repairs necessary because of operator abuse or negligence, or the failure to install, operate, maintain and store the product according to the instructions in the owner’s manual.
5. Damage caused by cold, heat, rain, excessive humidity, corrosive environments and materials, or other contaminants.
6. Expendable items that become worn during normal use.
7. Freight costs from customer to vender.
8. Repair and transportation costs of products or parts determined not to be defective.
9. Any incidental, indirect or consequential loss, damage, or expense that may result from any defect, failure or malfunction of the product. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of consequential damages so the above exclusions or limitations may not apply to you. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you. You may have other rights which vary from state to state.
A defective unit must be returned, prepaid, with proof of purchase, well packaged to avoid damage in transit. Ship unit to Suncourt Inc. only after obtaining a Return Goods Authorization (RGA) number. Returns without this RGA number will not be accepted.
Actual product appearance may differ from illustrations.
Suncourt reserves the right to modify any or all of its products features, designs, components and specifications without notice.
P.O. Box 40
Durant, IA 52747-0040
Copyright 1998-2015 Suncourt Inc. All Rights Reserved
|Unit Box Size||Packaged Unit Weight||Units per Case||Case Size||Case Weight|
The Equalizer® EQ2 is designed to be placed over a floor or wall register (6" x 12" maximum size) to boost the airflow from that register. By boosting airflow, it will warm up rooms that are chronically cold in the winter and cool down rooms that are chronically too hot in the summer.
No. The Equalizer® EQ2 does neither heat nor cool the air. It boosts airflow from a register, thus bringing more heated air from your furnace or cooled air from your air conditioner into a problem room.
The Equalizer® EQ2 has a patented fan system that disperses the air in a more or less horizontal circular pattern. To blow air from the unit straight up to the ceiling is not desirable. Hold your hands to the sides of the air exhaust grille of the Equalizer® EQ2 and you will feel the airflow. This way, the air stays at the lower room level; not the ceiling.
Moving air flowing over your skin feels colder than still air. The temperature of the air is in fact the same. That "cold" sensation on your skin comes from the evaporation of the moisture on your skin caused by moving air. That is why sitting in the airflow of a fan feels good on a hot summer day. The air from that fan has the same temperature as the other surrounding air. Again, the air movement over your skin causes the chilly sensation. That is why drafts are so uncomfortable.
No installation is required for the Equalizer® EQ2. You simply place it over a floor register (6" x 12" maximum size) and plug it into the nearest 110 Volt wall outlet.
The Equalizer® EQ2 uses 27 Watts when running. Like a small light bulb.
Yes, small keyhole slots are provided in the bottom grille of the Equalizer® EQ2. Depending on the size and type of wall register, you may install screws in the register or surrounding wall and simply hang the Equalizer® EQ2 on those screws. In some instances, it is not possible to install screws for hanging the Equalizer® EQ2 with the function panel label on the top. In this case you will need to hang it upside down. Note that the lettering on the function label will be upside down also.
Yes. The Equalizer® EQ2 must cover a register grille opening entirely. The Equalizer® EQ2 is designed to create a slight vacuum at the register, thus pull air from the duct. You do not want to pull in room air.
Your Equalizer® EQ2 is equipped with a highly sensitive electronic thermostat. This thermostat will automatically turn the fan ON when it senses heated air after the furnace starts. Similarly, it will turn the fan ON when your air conditioner starts. This operation is fully automatic and you have a control on the function panel to fine tune when you wish the Equalizer® EQ2 to start and stop.
Yes. On the function control panel you will find a switch setting "HEAT" for automatic operation with your furnace in the winter and "COOL" for automatic operation in the summertime with your air conditioner. The "ON" setting provides continuous operation.
We recommend that you unplug the Equalizer® EQ2 between seasons when neither the furnace nor air conditioner is operating, during vacations when you are away from home, etc. This will save wear and tear and unnecessary energy use.
Suncourt recommends against mounting an Equalizer® EQ2 over a ceiling register for safety concerns in the event the unit would fall down if not properly attached. Also, since the airflow is exhausted in a circular pattern, the boosted warm air will remain at the ceiling.
The Equalizer® EQ2 will operate in any position.
No. The Equalizer® EQ2 is not approved to vent outside air (such as in a window) where the unit may become wet from rain or excessive moisture.
The Equalizer® EQ2 has been rigorously tested to the Standards of Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL®) for your safety. The housing is made of a high impact flame retardant ABS material and the electric motor is Thermally Protected. The fan impeller is made out of Polycarbonate material, the material used for jet fighter canopies.
Generally, maintaining a clean household and regularly replacing the central air system filter will avoid build-up of dirt and dust in the Equalizer® EQ2. The Equalizer® EQ2 cannot be opened for cleaning. Doing so would void the warranty and poses a risk of injury. Normally, accumulated dust can be blown out of the unit and dirt can be removed using a small brush or cotton swabs.